A sunny Sunday? Sultriness in the city? You do not know what to do? Here's an idea to spend a day by combining cycling and wholesome food.
Put your bikes on the car, or jump on the saddle right away and reach Abbiategrasso, more precisely Vittorio Veneto Square, the starting point of our naturalistic-cookery path. Here you can leave your car in the parking of the Square.
Along the way, let yourself be influenced by the rural landscape that surrounds you. Verdant lawns, corn, rice, wheat and rape characterize the landscape.
Between April and May the thousand colors of the different buds, hedges of Colza flowers and red poppies paint the scenery so picturesque, as only nature can do.
But it is not over: ponds and ditches here and there run through the countryside while willows delineate their trend reflecting into the bubbling water and creating at sunset games of light worthy of an Impressionist.
The route is accessible to everyone and it runs on paved and dirt roads and it leads to La Barcella
- From the square, take Trieste Street and follow it for about 400 meters, then turn right into Ferraris Street
- After 150 meters, turn right and take Bandiera Street
- Continue straight, then you will pass over a floodway Canale bridge of the North - West and then immerse yourself in the Abbiategrasso countryside
- Continue on this road for 1.3 km and turn right off Cascina Cavallotta, taking the dirt road
- Continue for 1.3 km and turn right, leaving I Leprotti on your left
- After 500 meters you’ll meet the paved road that will lead you in the small village of Cascinazza, cross it and continue all straight, taking the downhill that you will find in front of you for turning left near the new mill.
- Proceed straight ahead until you reach La Barcella
Tired of ciclying? Would you like some refreshments? A lunch at La Barcella is what you need. Put your legs under the table and fill yourselves with the typical dishes of the Meneghin countryside culture or with more sophisticated dishes. Enjoy the lunch with a glass of wine and get ready to enjoy the return.
- Cascina Barcella Street s/n/c - 20087, Robecco sul Naviglio, MI, Italy
- Telephone: + 39 02 94970555
Mini Forgotten Magics
The richness of waterways in the Lower Padana Valley has resulted, in the past centuries, with widely numerous water mills. Testimonials of this technology are still present in the Abbiategrasso area, although rarely working.
Among the few active is worth mentioning the Nuovo Mulino, presents in Abbiategrasso since 1400, it represents a blend of past and present due to the proximity of structures recently built. The importance of historical memory that the mills offer us is often forgotten and, thus, these ingenious examples are abandoned to their oblivion fate.
In the unique area that combines Abbiategrasso and the countrysides of Ozzero and Morimondo, you can see some examples of the importance had by the mills and how little interest they receive from individuals and institutions.